[GLLUG] permission woes

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sat Jun 2 00:00:55 EDT 2012

By default, only root can mount filesystems. But of course when you do
that, and the filesystem doesn't support the standard unix-style
permissions (such as a CIFS share), then the whole filesystem is only
available to root.

According to the mount.cifs(8) man page, you can specify the 'uid' and
'gid' options, like so:

  sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=user,gid=user //192.168.1.105/shared
/home/user/shared

That ought to make the filesystem readable/writable by "user".

Charles