[GLLUG] Raspberry Pi users: What are the chances of using this for IRLP & other VOIP projects?

dburk at ws6transam.org dburk at ws6transam.org
Tue Jun 5 12:57:41 EDT 2012

Hi Cody and everyone else,

I'm an amateur radio operator who is fairly active with the use of
Echolink to connect local repeaters to other users around the world.
There's multiple ways to connect the radios via ethernet and VOIP;
Echolink is an application that requires windows95, or at least a shell,
anyways. I'm wondering if the PI has enough processor power to run it.
There's also a couple of linux applications; specifically for IRLP
(internet repeater linking project). Do you folks reckon the Rasberry PI
can handle VOIP, and does it have sound card capabilities for the
necessary A/D and D/A of two-way communication? If so, it might make a
dandy little low-power processing engine!