[GLLUG] Raspberry Pi users: What are the chances of using this for IRLP & other VOIP projects?

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Tue Jun 5 14:30:51 EDT 2012

On 06/05/2012 12:57 PM, dburk at ws6transam.org wrote:
> Hi Cody and everyone else,
>
> I'm an amateur radio operator who is fairly active with the use of
> Echolink to connect local repeaters to other users around the world.
> There's multiple ways to connect the radios via ethernet and VOIP;
> Echolink is an application that requires windows95, or at least a shell,
> anyways. I'm wondering if the PI has enough processor power to run it.
> There's also a couple of linux applications; specifically for IRLP
> (internet repeater linking project). Do you folks reckon the Rasberry PI
> can handle VOIP, and does it have sound card capabilities for the
> necessary A/D and D/A of two-way communication? If so, it might make a
> dandy little low-power processing engine!

I don't have my Raspberry Pi yet (still waiting to be shipped, I guess)
but I think the hardware requirements are there. One thing it won't do,
however, is run Windows 95 because the CPU is not x86-compatible. If
there's no open-source equivalent for the Echolink software, you may be
able to get it to work on DOSBox. Which is something you could even try
without a Raspberry Pi.

Charles