[GLLUG] Laser printers, or buying your next enemy...

Bert W. Carrier Jr. bertcarrier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:26:51 EDT 2012

I've got a few updates on the printer wars going on in my office.
First, I fixed my HP laserjet 4 Plus.  I found out that sometimes when
you blow out a printer with compressed air, some dust and toner may go
up into the laser sensor and trigger bad laser sensor errors (Error 51
in my case).   So I bought a spare, and disassembled mine to clean it.
I cleaned the mirrors inside the laser sensor, put it back together, and
it worked like a charm again.  So old faithful is still working.

Next, I bought a HP laserjet 4250dtn.   So far, so good.   My question
is this:  is the proper driver for Ubuntu linux the postscript driver or
the Foomatic?    What's a Foomatic anyway?

Thanks!