[GLLUG] So the new Macbook Pro...

Bryan Laur bjlaur at mtu.edu
Wed Jun 13 22:10:24 EDT 2012

*Old laptops become junk instead of toys.*
The problem with this mentality is that it causes older laptops to
basically become junk. As software gets upgraded, it has a tendency to
require more ram, and as such you can find a huge performance boost by
simply upgrading the ram if the device has hit such a threshold. (Obvious
for most people here.)

   - However, now you have a device where the battery can't be replaced and
   the ram can't be upgraded. When this device hits the 6 years age, it's ram
   capacity is too low and it's battery is shot. It's basically junk. The cost
   required to fix/upgrade it would make it more economical to a person to
   simply buy a new one.
   - Sure, maybe the doctors and the lawyers won't care... but this
   promotes electronic waste. As it currently stands, many electronics get
   handed down, which I think is a good practice.
   - So who wins? The manufactures, they've just made a laptop that
   literally has a life span.
   - Who loses? Those who can't afford or don't wish to pay for new
   products. Those who receive hand-me-downs. Those that get a kick out of
   using old equipment.
   - And those who like to get the best bang for their buck. (Looks like an
   extra 8GB of ram now costs you $200.. which as most of us know, is hugely
   overpriced)

I don't necessarily care that apple's moving in this direction.. but
hopefully they don't lead the industry in this direction.

Addressing a few other things:

   1. I know plenty of professionals and executives. Most of these people
   are money pinchers and like to get use out of their products. While they
   won't scream bloody murder over this, they will notice later that it
   would've be nice if they could use their electronics or give them to their
   children/grandchildren.

   2. You do not void the warranty for upgrading your laptop's ram or HDD,
   etc. Least not of any laptops I've seen (excluding apple products, of
   course) [Mostly use Acer, HP, Dell. None of these company's warranties are
   void when upgrading the ram or HDD]

   3. Everything from apple isn't all bad: They are bringing high
   resolution displays into consumer devices which is exciting to see.

-Bryan