[GLLUG] So the new Macbook Pro...

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Thu Jun 14 05:10:41 EDT 2012

On 06/13/12 21:22, Eduardo Cesconetto wrote:
> Upgrading RAM to the same motherboard is a waste of time and effort
> for most people, maybe not for us geeks, dweebs, nerds, etc… Do you
> believe a lawyer, dentist, doctor, engineer o any other professional
> would spend time even thinking of gaining 3.765% speed by replacing RAM?

I *really* don't see how you can think that. I have helped dozens of
friends
upgrade the ram their machines, breathing new life into older machines.
Many friends have been unemployed and being able to make their systems
faster was of great help.

At work I've upgraded at least 30 machines over the years. Never have I
considered that a waste.

> I have macs but my main computer in the house is a custom built PC
> (running a certain UNIX/BSD fruit flavored OS…), I understand where
> you are coming from… But that is for us(geeks, dweebs, nerds, etc… )
>
> Think about Taylor, if you are not building your PC and you decide to
> buy a brand name one, it'll have a warranty seal on it, so
> technically, you can't upgrade that unless you WANT to void your
> warranty… I upgraded RAM on my TK82C in 1981 from 2K to 16K using a
> soldering iron and patience, nothing stops us from doing the same with
> the MBP Retina, right? We have much better soldering irons nowadays.. :D

You don't void your warranty with Dell if you upgrade ram. Maybe this is an
MSU specific thing, but I know I've done this a few times.

Lastly, regarding 'better' ram for a machine: yes, it might be faster,
but considering the speed increase from not swapping, even the older
slower ram is a fantastic win.

--STeve Andre'