[GLLUG] File search help

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Sun Mar 4 22:49:05 EST 2012

Don't forget about file(1).  If you can teach /etc/magic (your opsys may
vary), about the metadata, then it could tell you whats what.

Something like

      cd dir
      find . -type f -exec file {} \;

would run file on every file in dir and beneath.

Strings works too, but it harder.  A

    strings -12 file

would print out only the readable strings longer than 12 chars,
which helps, but file is better.

--STeve Andre'