[GLLUG] Thinkpad BIOS

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:21:12 EST 2012

I have an old IBM Thinkpad T20.  It's a 650MHz PIII with 256MB of RAM.
It was built in Mexico, probably in July of 2000.  The CMOS battery is
dead, so when it starts I enter the BIOS and put in the correct time and
date.  The hard drive originally had Win95 or Win98 on it, but I
replaced it with Linux and it works fine.

It only has a 6GB hard drive, so I replaced it with a larger hard drive
that currently has FreeBSD 7.2 installed on it.  When I boot the
Thinkpad with the new hard drive, I can still select to enter the BIOS,
and it says it's loading the BIOS configuration utility, but it never
brings up the screen.  Well, it doesn't within ten minutes, which is at
least ten times longer than it usually takes.  I don't get an error
message of any kind, just the normal "loading BIOS configuration"
message.  When I replace the original drive it boots as it did before.

Without going to any trouble to look for an answer, does anyone know if
IBM Thinkpads ever used to store part of the BIOS or the utility to
modify it on the hard drive?
--

                                Chick