[GLLUG] Thinkpad BIOS II

Marr wm33 at att.net
Thu Mar 8 15:21:01 EST 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 14:29:26 Chick Tower wrote:
> I was trying to replace a 6GB drive with a 10GB drive, Bill.

Seems like that should be a non-problem, all things considered.

Given your results to Stan's test, I'd be a bit suspicious of the HDD itself.
Has that newer 10 GB HDD been booted successfully in any other machine
(recently)? Or, failing that, at least connected (i.e. as a slave drive) in
some PC (possibly using a 2.5- to 3.5-inch HDD adapter)?

Not to be insulting, but is there any chance that you have the 2.5-inch IDE
HDD connector on upside-down? The 2.5-inch IDE HDDs I have are missing a pin
for keying, but I've seen issues in the past where the corresponding connector
is not similarly keyed, resulting in the possibility of a reversal. Not too
likely in a laptop, I realize, since the connector is often firmly fixed in the
machine and the HDD can only go in 1 way, but worth asking, just in case.

I'd also be suspicious of the master/slave issue, but since I've never used a
laptop with 2 HDDs, I suspect that the default case for laptop IDE HDDs is
either "master" or "cable select", either of which should work fine as you
undoubtedly already know. Frankly, I've never messed with the master/slave
jumpers on a laptop-sized IDE HDD, though, so maybe it's worth the
investigation. Here's a URL with the master/slave/cable-select pinout, in case
it helps:

   http://www.pccables.com/00504.htm

Good luck! And please keep us posted so curiosity doesn't kill this "cat". :^)

Bill