[GLLUG] Network storage question

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue May 15 09:38:48 EDT 2012

On 5/15/12 6:03 AM, Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Should I use tape drive backups every week and store them off site?
This often makes people feel more comfortable, and if sending tapes
offsite makes you feel comfortable, I'm all for doing things that feel good.

It won't back up your data though.  Unless you test your backups
rigorously, and actually do the occasional test restore, it's almost
assured that within a few months you'll be sending off hopelessly
corrupted tapes which at best make interesting pistol targets, and at
worst give you a false sense of security about your data.

You might talk to some of our list members about setting up offsite hot
backup.  I know that both Stan Mortel and Jeff Lawton offer it as a service.

Clay