[GLLUG] Network storage question

Chris Fritz fritzc at poweronlansing.com
Tue May 15 11:24:25 EDT 2012

If you want to back up remotely and have a decent Internet connection,
CrashPlan <http://www.crashplan.com/> is a multi-platform (even Solaris!)
commercial product that's free as long as you don't want to back up to
their servers. They do client-side encryption and I just use it to keep a
backup of my home stuff at work and my work stuff at home. Very pain-free
to set up and works automatically, as opposed to hauling around tape
drives. I would do the initial backup on-site (otherwise the 2-4 TB could
take a really long time!), then the incremental backups will be much
faster. If you want to take advantage of file versioning, I would recommend
at least 10 GB of backup storage (more if you have large files that are
changing frequently).

Chris