[GLLUG] Laser printers, or buying your next enemy...

Bert W. Carrier Jr. bertcarrier at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:24:01 EDT 2012

Hello folks,

I need some advice.

I'm in the market for a new laser printer.   I'll be attaching it to my
small office network, so it must have ethernet hookup.  4 out of 5
computers are running Ubuntu, so Linux compatibilty is a must.

I've had old HP laserjets that never died, never jammed and never
complained.  (my LJ4 Plus for example).  So I'm kind of partial to HP
laserjets, but I don't think that the quality is the same now as it was
back in the glorious '90s.  On the other hand, what else is out there?
Lexmark?  Brother?  I know nothing about the reliability or reputation
of those guys.

So if you were in my shoes, and had a budget of up to $200 to spend on a
monochrome laser, what would you get?   All opinions are welcome.  All I
know is that if I make the wrong decision, I'll be re-enacting the
printer destruction scene in "Office Space".

Thanks,
Bert