[GLLUG] Laser printers, or buying your next enemy...

Marr wm33 at att.net
Wed May 30 11:20:12 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 30 May 2012 10:11:58 Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Mr. Marr,
>
> This is a big help, I appreciate it.  I did some more research last
> night and I'm afraid I might be comparing apples to oranges when I
> compare new HP vs. old HP.   For example, the MSRP on the LJ3 was over
> $3000 in 1990, which was a lot of coin then and now.  It may not be fair
> to compare the longevity of that machine to a $150 Office Max special.

I agree. For all I know, HP may be a great buy now. I've only been going on my
senses, based entirely on what I've heard. But Clay's comments on the driver
issues don't make me feel any warmer toward modern-day HP.

As an aside, I don't think anyone paid anything close to MSRP back then. I
bought my LaserJet Series II back in Jan 1990 for $1689. Undoubtedly, the MSRP
was substantially higher. (Wikipedia suggests it was $2695.)  If Wikipedia is
to be believed, the LaserJet III wasn't even out yet. Wikipedia says, "In
March 1990 HP introduced the LaserJet III, priced at US$2,395 [...]".

As we all know, the computer market is unlike most others when it comes to
falling prices and expanded capability. It makes it virtually impossible to
make any reasonable comparisons over such long time spans. I loved my
LaserJet2 back in the day and still admire its reliability, but (so far) I
really love my Brother DCP-7065DN too.  At $99, I'm not sure I'd care if it
died in 3 or 4 years. Sad, but true. I doubt it will last like the LJ2, but it
sure is easier to move around (weight-wise)! Of course, if the DCP-7065DN
dies, I'll just haul the LJ2 and the HP ScanJet3c flatbed scanner (another
reliable work-horse, from the mid-1990s) out of storage. Ah, who am I kidding?
I'll probably just run out and buy another low-end multifunction printer. It's
hard to live without the photocopier and sheet feeder once you get accustomed
to them. :^)

I guess the bottom line for me is that, although I didn't hesitate in the past
to spend a large sum for a quality printer, I'm not sure it makes sense any
more, at least not at the volume I print. For some others, that will certainly
be different.

Here's hoping you find something appropriate. Hope even more that you'll fill us
in on what you buy and how well it works out. I'm always curious about good
hardware.

Regards,
Bill