[GLLUG] What is Enterprise Desktop Linux?

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Aug 3 10:57:51 EDT 2013

On 08/03/2013 09:43 AM, Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Thanks for the great responses guys.
>
> I mentioned before that I'm searching for a replacement for my beloved
> Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I've downloaded Fedora, Crunchbang, and Bodhi Linux based on the
> recommendations of this group.  I'll be trying them out shortly.  If
> anyone is interested, I'll post my results.
>
> I run a small law practice and I run linux on 3 workstations and a
> fileserver.  I also am forced to run an XP machine for my proprietary
> bankruptcy software and sadly for Adobe reader, which allows me to
> fill in .pdf forms.  I can't seem to find a Linux equivalent.
First, I would upgrade with Windows XP installation to Windows 7.  A
co-worker just came back from blackhat, and they were compromising XP
boxes with all current patches applied in a matter of minutes.  Your
machine obviously contains valuable information, and you just broadcast
that on a public list.  Not patching the box could lead to some very
unhappy clients.

If you want stability, Richard's advice is solid.  RHEL if you need a
paid support program, CentOS if you're comfortable going it alone.

As for an Acrobat replacement, I've found Acrobat to be the best
replacement, and it's available on Linux, or at least Ubuntu.  The
package name was a bit obscure, but I did a bit of googling and came up
with it.  There are a lot of replacements that beat it in some areas,
but I've never found one that didn't fall down in others.  Form filling
seems to be a particularly bad one.

Clay