[GLLUG] question about 32 bit vs 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Feb 5 15:02:15 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 10:59:53AM -0800, Troy wrote:
> Presently I am running 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04. I was wondering if it is
> possible, with my current processor and motherboard, to speed up the
> execution of 12.04. Thanks and stay warm... troy

Running a 64-bit OS on a system that's working fine on a 32-bit OS,
assuming you have less than 4G of RAM, will probably not produce a
noticeable speed increase.  64-bit binaries are a bit larger on
average, so some aspects might be slower.

PAE kernels are a lot slower with >4G of RAM regarding memory
operations, though, which is why everyone is asking how much RAM you
have.