[GLLUG] question about 32 bit vs 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Feb 5 20:07:07 EST 2013

It also depends on workload.  Video operations, virtualization, and
compilers are better on modern 64bit, since that is the only mode that
supports the whole hardware feature set (avx, vt-d, iommu, etc.).  Programs
that memory map disk access can similarly get a boost from the larger
address space, etc.