[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

ashton at msu.edu ashton at msu.edu
Wed Feb 6 00:37:03 EST 2013

Wow, something I can actually possibly contribute about!

This boils down to what you intend to do with it. When you say you want one to keep at your desk at work, I wonder whether a desktop might be a better option. They are cheaper, more powerful, and more durable.

If you want something you can occasionally schlep around, but mostly it isn't going to move that much, you can probably get a good price on a midsize laptop.

I haul mine to and from work almost every day (by foot and bike), and use it in different settings. So I really like a very lightweight but durable beast. Since I program (and write) on it a lot, I need a good keyboard. I have been very happy with the two Thinkpad X-series notebooks I've had over the past 5 years for this. Over the past dozen years I've probably owned or maintained 10 different laptops (all linux), and the Thinkpads have been the best.

Installing Linux is generally pretty simple. I have had some problems with wireless network setup and sound from time to time. GLLUG helped me out at a meeting years ago, but things are much easier now; there's a lot online to help, if it doesn't work 'out of the install'. I've run Debian-based distros (Sidux currently) for years, and they usually Just Work (tm). Sometimes though things will break as packages change in Sid.

Again, think about how much portability, screen size, and keyboard feel matter to you, as these are the big issues. I've settled for super lightweight, smallish screen, great keyboard (and rather high price), but your sweet spot will vary.

Ashton