[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed Feb 6 07:55:00 EST 2013

On 2/5/2013 9:38 PM, STeve Andre' wrote:
> On 02/05/13 23:27, Taylor Burke wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> With my tax return in the works, I'm looking at getting myself a new
>> laptop that I can keep at my desk at work. I've been looking at some
>> of the i3/i5 Ultrabooks since I'd like something that can be powerful
>> enough for the Netflix app for Ubuntu, but really I've only ever owned
>> two laptops so I'm not really sure where to start.
>>
>> Do any of you guys have recommendations? Have you used any Ultrabooks,
>> and if so, would you recommend them?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Taylor
>>

> I still think that Thinkpads are the best built laptops.  I have a
> friends HP
> laptop next to me and I'm not impressed..
>
> Take a look at http://linuxlaptops.com/ <http://linuxlaptops.com/>for
> general data.
>
> --STeve Andre'

Ditto on HP:  Avoid.

Whatever you get, make sure it has dedicated Home and End keys on the
keyboard.  Nothing is more frustrating than having to press two or three
keys simultaneously over and over again to accomplish a common task.  I
use Home and End constantly and miss dedicated keys for the task.  What
keys you would miss might be different.  I learned the hard way that the
keyboard layout should be a major decision of any laptop purchase.
Inefficient layouts will drop productivity.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

http://cubiclesoft.com/