[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Feb 6 13:59:25 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 01:56 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> My work laptop is an ultrabook, a Dell XPS-13, running Fedora 18
> (x86_64).  There's finally a kernel in testing that'll support the
> multitouch trackpad, otherwise the system runs fine.  It's quite
> light, has a 256G SSD in it, integrated wireless and bluetooth.  The
> CPU is a Core i7-2637M, dual-core.  Display is 1366x768 (blah) but
> looks good.
>
> Ubuntu had support for it earlier, since they worked directly with
> Dell and the parts vendors to get drivers working.  The XPS-13 is the
> Linux "Developer Edition"
> (http://content.dell.com/us/en/gen/d/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop).
>
> I like it.  A lot of people just assume it's a MacBook Air, due to the
> way it looks.  It's nice to be able to buy a laptop and not pay the
> "Microsoft tax", although I suspect that you're not paying any less
> than the people buying it with MS preinstalled.

You're paying slightly more, or were when it first came out.  I
seriously considered it, because it was announced just slightly before I
purchased the Latitude.  And it wasn't my money, so I didn't care about
the extra $50, which still put it well below my budget.

One thing to consider is how much memory the motherboard can handle.  I
bought my laptop because it could take 16GB of RAM.  That might seem
obscenely huge, but at times I will need to run several rather greedy
virtual machines on it.

Clay