[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Feb 6 13:56:40 EST 2013

My work laptop is an ultrabook, a Dell XPS-13, running Fedora 18
(x86_64).  There's finally a kernel in testing that'll support the
multitouch trackpad, otherwise the system runs fine.  It's quite
light, has a 256G SSD in it, integrated wireless and bluetooth.  The
CPU is a Core i7-2637M, dual-core.  Display is 1366x768 (blah) but
looks good.

Ubuntu had support for it earlier, since they worked directly with
Dell and the parts vendors to get drivers working.  The XPS-13 is the
Linux "Developer Edition"
(http://content.dell.com/us/en/gen/d/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop).

I like it.  A lot of people just assume it's a MacBook Air, due to the
way it looks.  It's nice to be able to buy a laptop and not pay the
"Microsoft tax", although I suspect that you're not paying any less
than the people buying it with MS preinstalled.