[GLLUG] Laptop recommendations?

Jeff Lawton jeff at idealso.com
Thu Feb 7 10:55:47 EST 2013

I have found that netbooks are to restrictive for me but I like the
size, and battery life. I have been through several ultrabooks and am
currently watching the Dell Latitude E6220 and E6230 as there prices
come down to replace my D430. There are currently around 20 for sale on
ebay for around $800. outlet.dell.com has them also for about the same
if not just a little more. I settled on Dell because they are easy to
find parts for and the latitude series has been durable enough for my uses.

        Dell Latitude E6230
        <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6230-12-5-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-320GB-HD-8GB-DDR3-Win7-Professional-/251218604125?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a7dcbb05d>

On 02/07/2013 09:34 AM, Clay Dowling wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 09:17 PM, Nathan Hartley wrote:
>>
>> Until recently, I had been in the market for a ultra-portable
>> computer, a long time. Besides the Lenovos, I had my eye on
>> Zareason's (http://zareason.com/shop/UltraLap-430.html). Eventually,
>> I decided that I could get away with an Android Tablet (Asus
>> Transformer TF300). It was a third cheaper than the ultrabooks I was
>> looking at. There are apps that will do most of what I need, when I'm
>> out and about. But since I've bought it, I have been disappointed at
>> almost every turn. It is a giant phone, without the usefulness of
>> being able to call someone. Oddly enough, one of my biggest
>> complaints is the awkward copy-n-paste interface. Besides it taking
>> 10+ seconds to copy anything, if you try to copy more than a sentence
>> the selector starts jumping around on you.
>
> A number of us own that tablet or similar.  Spend the $100 and get the
> keyboard.  Completely changes how  you interact with the machine.  The
> pointer still isn't as elegant as you'd get with a regular laptop, but
> it's close.
>
> Clay

Jeff Lawton
Ideal Solution, LLC