[GLLUG] Vexing Wireless Problem

Marshal Newrock marshal at zordio.com
Thu Feb 7 11:00:43 EST 2013

I don't have a ready solution, but I can relate my own anecdote, which
may help.

I used to use wicd to connect to wireless networks, but it seems to
have trouble with secured networks (and absolutely can not handle
hidden networks).  So, with this, and with getting a wireless card for
my desktop and wanting it to always connect to my home wireless network
on boot, I found a way in Debian to set up the connection
in /etc/network/interfaces.  And, for my laptop, I also found a way to
use a program called guessnet within /etc/network/interfaces to
automatically connect to different networks.

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?sektion=8&query=guessnet&apropos=0&manpath=sid&locale=en

Then, I discovered that this method does not work at all for unsecured
connections.

So now, I have the secured connections I want to connect to defined
in /etc/network/interfaces.  If I want to connect to an unsecured
network, I start up wicd.  If I need to switch between the two, it's
usually reboot or face a kernel panic.

Marshal

--
Marshal Newrock