[GLLUG] Booting Problem

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:28:57 EST 2013

I have Slackware 14.0 installed on a hard disk.  I plan to install
another distro, AntiX, on the same hard disk.  I made a change to
lilo.conf and ran LILO, and now it won't boot.

I tried booting with System Rescue CD, which does have LILO installed on
it, but when I try to reinstall LILO to the hard disk's MBR using a
known working lilo.conf it fails, saying something like perhaps NFS/RAID
isn't working.  I don't have either set up on this PC.  I tried booting
with another live CD, connecting to the internet and installing LILO,
and reinstalling the known good lilo.conf, but it again fails for the
same reason.  I do not have the install disks used to install Slackware
on the hard disk.  I know the lilo.conf is good because I used it
before, successfully.

Slackware is installed on an ext4-formatted partition.  Legacy GRUB
can't read that.  I had hoped to use the legacy GRUB that AntiX installs
to chain-load Slackware's LILO installed to it's root partition rather
than the MBR.  GRUB2 can read ext4 partitions, so I could install AntiX,
install GRUB2, and go with that, but I don't care for GRUB2.  I would
rather stick with legacy GRUB and LILO, but, failing a solution to my
problem, I could live with GRUB2.  I think I could also install AntiX,
install LILO, and use that to get the Slackware partition booting again,
but then, I had thought doing so from a live CD would work, too.

With live CDs, I can mount the Slackware partition, so I can make
changes to it directly.  I don't want to delete the MBR and start over,
unless you know of a way that requires that to work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I could get LILO working
again?
--

                                Chick