[GLLUG] Booting Problem

pdwald pdwald at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:13:50 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Chick Tower <c.e.tower at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Slackware 14.0 installed on a hard disk.  I plan to install another
> distro, AntiX, on the same hard disk.  I made a change to lilo.conf and ran
> LILO, and now it won't boot.

The question that you post elicits then is: "what changes did you make
to lilo.conf"?

> I tried booting with System Rescue CD, which does have LILO installed on it,
> but when I try to reinstall LILO to the hard disk's MBR using a known
> working lilo.conf it fails, saying something like perhaps NFS/RAID isn't
> working.  I don't have either set up on this PC.  I tried booting with
> another live CD, connecting to the internet and installing LILO, and
> reinstalling the known good lilo.conf, but it again fails for the same
> reason.  I do not have the install disks used to install Slackware on the
> hard disk.  I know the lilo.conf is good because I used it before,
> successfully.

I use slackware but having been using grub for a long time (grub is
not standard in slackware); grub is almost a small operating system on
its own right, one can tweak initial bios settings change and hide
partitions,etc.
Legacy grub should be able to read ext4 with the proper patch, but
some distros come with it patched already. Grub2 is big departure from
legacy grub, even the commands set is different; they
could have changed  the inwards of the grub legacy preserving the
command and instructions set or at least keeping limited retroactive
compatibility with the commands/instructions set of grub legacy.

You could try reinstalling LILO from the install DVD/CD (last phase of
the installation process bypassing the initial phases) or looking
inside trying to see what is wrong with it.