[GLLUG] Disposable E-mail Addresses

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Sat Jan 5 14:30:22 EST 2013

On 1/4/2013 9:05 PM, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Hi Chick,

<snip>
> Another alternative is paying for email hosting with your own domain.
> There are probably good email hosting solutions out there, but it's also
> possible these days to just get a cheap hosted cpanel account where you
> can add/delete email accounts at will.
>
> I have a $15/month VPS that I run Postfix on. I have it configured to
> use "." as the username separator instead of "+". This passes all the
> web form validation checks and allows me to filter mail based on the
> incoming address:
>
> charles.dont.spam.me.please.please.please at bityard.net

I set up my server using '+' and since then I've discovered that most
web forms don't accept the character despite it being a valid character
in an e-mail address.  Postfix only allows one character for the
extension separator (recipient_delimiter).  I'm running an all
command-line managed MySQL + Postfix + Dovecot + SPF/DNSRBL checking
setup, which works rather well and I've got it locked down pretty well
too.  The timing of this thread is good since I spent some time today
working on trying to add another character option to have multiple
allowed extensions deliver to the same mailbox.  Here's what I've got so
far:

http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2013/01/setting-up-mysql-postfix-dovecot-to-do.html

I'm curious though as to which character works best for the delimiter.
I've only added '_' at this point.  Based on what I've read, '+' is the
supposedly "recommended" method and is what GMail does but my experience
shows that very few web forms actually support the '+' character thanks
to the proliferation of ill-conceived validation regexes.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

http://cubiclesoft.com/