[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu ~ Everyday Linux User

Matt Parrott parrott.matt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 08:54:19 EDT 2013

The bad news is that the open source community has proven itself utterly
incapable of creatively and effectively adapting its core principles to the
desktop, and has failed spectacularly. The good news is that the browser
will completely swallow the desktop, which will place Linux in a tactically
enviable position once again. Linux is going to win despite decades of
heroic attempts to lose spectacularly at the GUI game.

When you think about it philosophically, a computer desktop which is
aligned with Unix principles would be networked, tools-and-pipes oriented,
and flexible enough to deploy on a variety of operating systems and
contexts. In other words, the Linux Desktop has been around the whole time
and has been kicking ass. For historical reasons, the Linux Desktop is
called a "web browser". A ChromeBook-like experience atop a Linux engine is
the end game.

I switched to ChromeBook a year ago and I haven't looked back (the keyboard
is infinitely superior to the cluttered nightmare you get with Win boxes,
like Happy Hacker laptop-edition). The community hasn't come around to
providing the ChromeBook front-end with a local Linux backend, yet, but I
can remotely access my EC2 box for my programming and sysadmin work, which
works in my situation.

For those unwilling to go that far, Lubuntu is a great way to enjoy
Ubuntu's stable package management without being subjected to whatever
bloated dead-end mess they're serving up for a GUI of the week.

- Matt Parrott <http://www.swarmstrategies.com/matt> · (317) 324-8282 ·
Skype: matt.parrott