[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:11:24 EDT 2013

On 07/24/2013 12:16 PM, Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> This is a great discussion, thanks to all who contributed.  It is also
> timely for me because support for my beloved Ubuntu 10.04LTS is coming
> to an end, and sooner or later I'll have to switch to something else.  I
> don't care for Unity and Gnome 3.0 is too resource-hungry for my P4
> 2.4ghz machines.  Any suggestions?

If you want speed, it's hard to go wrong with Slackware, Arch, or
Debian, avoiding KDE and Gnome both.  Several Slackware derivatives
(Zenwalk, Vector, & Salix) make Slackware a little easier to use.  The
same is true for Arch (Manjaro & ArchBang).  If you want to stay with
something more like Ubuntu, but lightweight, go with my earlier
suggestion of Bodhi Linux; it's based on Ubuntu but uses the
Enlightenment window manager, which looks very nice.
--

                                Chick