[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Jul 24 14:59:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:16:11PM -0400, Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> This is a great discussion, thanks to all who contributed.  It is
> also timely for me because support for my beloved Ubuntu 10.04LTS is
> coming to an end, and sooner or later I'll have to switch to
> something else.  I don't care for Unity and Gnome 3.0 is too
> resource-hungry for my P4 2.4ghz machines.  Any suggestions?

I run Fedora 19 on my fast computer and the Pidora version of Fedora
18 on my Raspberry Pi, so it scales to both ends of the spectrum.  I'm
using OpenBox on my RasPi, since I don't really need a particularly
flashy desktop on it (and it rarely runs X anyway).

Fedora requires a 400MHz processor and 1GB of RAM minimum, so if you
don't have that, you won't even be able to install it.  It has a bunch
of different environments, you can install a minimal OS and then
Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXCD, etc, just as was described in another post
about Debian.

I much prefer Fedora than debian-based distros, largely since I
support RHEL at work and Fedora is essentially the playground where
each release of RHEL grows up.