[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Thu Jul 25 08:10:07 EDT 2013

On 07/24/2013 10:39 PM, Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Lots of great responses, thanks!
>
> Ben, you hit it on the head for me. I'm all about stability and ease
> of use for non-linux types.  These are my work machines so no
> cutting-edge stuff for me thank you very much.
>
> It's pretty easy for a Windows user to jump on a 10.04 machine and get
> to work.  I have 4 linux boxes in my office, all on a network with one
> Winxp machine for proprietary software.
>
> I've heard that even though 10.04 will no longer be supported, it may
> work well long into the future.  So maybe I won't have to change after
> all.  What would be the disadvantages of sticking with 10.04 past the
> support limit?

I  would think the "disadvantages" would be the same as sticking with
windows xp.

As long as the software does what you need it to do; if you don't see
any need for new software / features in the near future and you are
reasonably protected from security threats (which being linux you are)
then you could stay with what you have.

Patrick