[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Thu Jul 25 10:12:13 EDT 2013

On 07/25/2013 10:03 AM, Clay Dowling wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 08:10 AM, Patrick Goupell wrote:
>> I  would think the "disadvantages" would be the same as sticking with
>> windows xp.
>>
>> As long as the software does what you need it to do; if you don't see
>> any need for new software / features in the near future and you are
>> reasonably protected from security threats (which being linux you
>> are)  then you could stay with what you have.
> You're protected as long as the machine doesn't have network access.
> Linux unpatched is just about as vulnerable as anything else unpatched,
> and I get security patches about once a week.  Because of it's dominance
> in the server world, Linux is a pretty major target.  We have a group
> where I work that actively monitors the major network attack tools, and
> their feed shows a fair number of attacks specific to Linux.

While he did say he had a total of 5 computers on a network (assumed to
be internal), nothing was said about a connection to the internet (which
is my interpretation of your "network access").

I would assume (but that could be bad) that he does normal patch
maintenance just like all sysadmins do and he has some type of firewall
for any internet access.

Is it necessary to constantly repeat the warnings about an unpatched
system or do we give the guy credit for some intelligence?

Patrick