[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Jul 25 10:19:57 EDT 2013

On 07/25/2013 10:12 AM, Patrick Goupell wrote:

> While he did say he had a total of 5 computers on a network (assumed
> to be internal), nothing was said about a connection to the internet
> (which is my interpretation of your "network access").
>
> I would assume (but that could be bad) that he does normal patch
> maintenance just like all sysadmins do and he has some type of
> firewall for any internet access.
>
> Is it necessary to constantly repeat the warnings about an unpatched
> system or do we give the guy credit for some intelligence?

Based on the original question, yes, it is necessary to repeat it.  Once
LTS goes out of support, there are no more patches.  Normal patch
maintenance in that case would be to upgrade to a supported release, not
to continue using the same release because it still does what you need
it to do.  Just because there are no more patches doesn't mean there are
no more vulnerabilities, just that nobody is going to fix them for you.
And these older unsupported systems are primary targets.

Clay