[GLLUG] (esoteric) computers for giveaway and sale

jeff quast contact at jeffquast.com
Wed Jun 19 10:24:24 EDT 2013

The following computers are for giveaway:

1.8Ghz G4 Mac, powerpc "gigabit ethernet model". This has an upgraded CPU (was dual 500Mhz). You can have a mac USB keyboard, too, which is needed to get to OpenFirmware (must depress 3 keys: "Cloverleaf" + O + F to enter OpenFirmware). NetBSD documentation on this hardware is superb.

Some kind of ~1.8Ghz AMD Athelon "Shuttle PC", which is a small desktop.

Whichever one goes first also includes a IDE<->CF adapter + CF card for hard disk. The other one gets none.

SBC: "PC Engines Wrap", 2 ethernet ports, 2 mini-pci slots, http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap1e103.htm -- great for a home router. Please note most linux distributions are now i686-only, and this is a 486-class CPU !! It also has GPIO pins, so you can make simple interfaces, like attaching a button or a programmable LED that can be controlled from shell scripts if you like. You'll also need a DB9 Null modem adapter. You must either prepare a CF image or netboot to install. You might need help from some fellow LUG members if you've never done this before.

Commodore 64. Apparently nobody on craigslist is interested :-)
So for any user of linux interested in 6502 assembly, or just collecting retro gaming machines, its yours for free. Monochrome monitor also available for free.
http://lansing.craigslist.org/sys/3876965103.html

These are all as-is, but work just fine as far as I can tell.

---

For sale:

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm $40  -- still sold for over $100 new. This one actually has a VGA port for those not equipped with DB9 null modem adapters. Again, this is *not* an i686-class CPU, so you must be careful in choosing a linux distribution. I've always used OpenBSD on it. Booting from USB Cd-rom or thumbdrive is a little tricky, but possible.

Samsung 22" LED TV "Series 4000" $40 -- has vga, hdmi, component, etc. ports. I think it goes for over $100 new. Makes a fine PC Monitor.

---

Must answer by saturday afternoon.
I bring to you, you pick it up, whatever works for you. email for arrangements.

Otherwise they go to the scrapyard. Except the TV, which would go to charity.

Thanks,
jq