[GLLUG] Alright, I've had it with Comcast....

Peter Smith psmith.gllug at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 23:44:25 EDT 2013

Yeah, looks like I'm about 8000 yards from the CO, 1.5 miles...either just
before, or just after, the cut off in performance. Unless someone pops up
and tells me they run an ISP here in town, I think I'll grab 2 years of
ACD. Thanks for the opinions, and feel free to keep 'em coming, I'm out of
town, can't really get moving on this till Monday.

As for my Comcast service, I'm not too disappointed in it in general. 3mbit
down, 1mbit down, mostly up service. Just been sucking recently. Hrm. Mebbe
I should talk to a friend of mine in JAX who is a Comcast rep of some sort.
:) See if there's any way to keep a forward on my email for a bit. :)

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Peter Christenson <pac1.mi at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would check to see how far away from the head-end for any DSL services
> first, but as far as it goes I was pleased with ACD's service, although
> full disclosure, I'm not currently able to use them because I'm outside the
> distance of usable DSL.
>
> I don't believe that WOW is in Lansing at this time, however I know that
> in mid Michigan they took over broadstripe, so they may have some work on
> there hands before they are as good in Chicago.... but I don't have there
> service ether. I'm stuck with comcast until I can find something better.
>
> Peter.
>

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Jason L. Froebe <jason.froebe at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> no idea about acd but I had wow in downtown Chicago and was very happy
>> with them
>>
>> Jason
>> On Mar 29, 2013 4:34 PM, "Peter Smith" <psmith.gllug at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, when I told them 'I don't want your crappy basic digital cable that
>>> I can't use', they dropped my rate to $70 a month, but then they cancelled
>>> my 400 yard change of service without telling me. So after waiting all day,
>>> I rescheduled it that night, to a week from then...tomorrrow. Now I find
>>> not only have they rescheduled me from tomorrow to next Thursday, but
>>> apparently they also want a deposit. WTF? After at least 8 years of being
>>> their customer? My payments weren't THAT bad!
>>>
>>> Anyhow, who should I switch to for service in the Penn/496 area? I
>>> detest AT&T, which is all I seem to see when I poke around at places like
>>> movearoo.com. How's ACD.net? I've already got pricing from them, and
>>> I'm fine with DSL. Is there any other local provider friendly to us that I
>>> can use? And get ASAP? I'm starting to twitch in my new house without
>>> access!
>>>
>>> -- Peter Smith

Peter Smith
psmith.gllug at gmail.com