[GLLUG] Linux Laptop for Sale

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Nov 6 03:19:47 EST 2013

My replacement laptop arrives later today (same make).  I'll need a few
weeks to get everything setup and transferred, but my old one should be
available sometime near the end of the month.  I'm just looking for fair
value (my setup time and the expresscard are freebies), but haven't yet
figured out what that is.  My best guess is topping out around $500-600
depending on drive options.  This cost about $2400ish new - and the
memory/disk/bluray upgrades were all purchased somewhat recently.

If you're at all interested, please let me know and I'll try to coordinate
a time to get the unit in front of you.  Otherwise, sorry for the intrusion.

This machine is about 3.5 years old.  Both batteries still last hours, and
have never become a concern for me.  I haven't had problems watching full
length movies on battery power.  The GPU supports VDAPU (and I think
CUDA/OpenCL - check if it matters), so most video playback will be in
hardware.

It's not as quiet as the ultrabooks, but it's not far off at idle; The
cooling is a single fan with a good sized heatsink in the back right.  If
you really crank both the processor cores and the GPU with a higher-end
game, the noise will still pick up a bit.

The netbook is in excellent physical condition.  Hinges are very firm, no
broken latches (magnetic clasp), etc.  Much of the body is black brushed
aluminum, and there are no noticable scratches.  There are two very minor
(only noticed while checking for scratches), purely cosmetic cracks in the
plastic bezel near the corners of the screen terminating at the little
spacers that keep the screen from hitting the top of the chassis.  The only
thing really wrong with the unit is that two of the four stick-on rubber
feet came off after a couple years.  I still have one of them, maybe even
the second.

This machine was purchased specifically to run Linux, but lots of others
run Windows on the same basic.  It will ship with Mageia Linux 3
pre-installed so you can verify all the hardware works (except the modem,
that's all on you).  Any OS changes, etc. are your responsibility.  I still
have the original box.  It may or may not have the Windows driver CDs, but
you should download the most recent ones anyhow.

PowerNotebooks Power Pro based on MSI-1651 barebones (used in MSI branded
GX620)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8800  @ 2.66GHz (it has the VT extensions)
8GB Patriot PC6400 DDR2 (many vendors incorrectly listed this model as 4GB
max)
Discrete NVidia 9600M GT (MXM form factor, so theoretically upgradeable to
Quadro, etc.)
Amazing 15.4" widescreen (custom $350 upgrade from stock at purchase -
Matte 1680x1050, no dead pixels)
Integrated Bluetooth
Dual band Intel wireless N card (the unit has 3 antenna lines, but only two
are connected to the card, might just be a cable routing - only a few APs
do 450Mbs N, so I never bothered)
Basic stereo speakers
Camera/Microphone
Automatic brightness screen control
Full size keyboard (including numeric pad - one of the first on the 15"
notepads)
Touch-sensitive multimedia keys above the keyboard (as well as
camera/bluetooth/wifi switches)
Touchpad centered under the spacebar with two buttons  (not sure if
multitouch supported)

Hard disk x1 (possibilities are 1TB, 500MB, or you supply something)
Optical Drive x1 (possibilities are BD-R/RE, or DVD+-RW - plus you can add
a second HDD instead yourself with a $10 caddy)

HDMI Output (full size connector)
4x audio jacks
2x USB2.0 jacks
1x Card Slot (SD/SDHC/MMC/MS)
1x eSATAp jack (e-SATA and USB2.0 in the same port -- accepts any of the 3
cables)
1x expressCard-54 slot (accepts either type of expressCard peripheral)
1x mini firewire
In additional to the wireless card, there is another mini PCI express slot
free (not mSATA).
1x RJ11 telephone (never looked into the modem, nor do I plan to - for
purposes of the sale, consider this component is as-is)

two batteries (both a regular 6-cell and an an extended 9-cell)
original 90 watt power brick (fairly light)

weight - 6.6lb with the extended battery (significantly less for the
standard)

I've also got an untested two-port SATA-II expressCard-54 lying around that
I'll throw in.