[GLLUG] PXE Debian install problem

J Neveau neveauj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 22:05:15 EST 2014

Greetings everyone,

**initial disclaimer; new to this stuff, not good with networking**

I was able to get a PXE boot started for a Debian installation on an AMD
Geode machine.  The installer begins fine and it gets to the point of
asking for a mirror to use for installation packages. I select the main
Debian mirror.  This is where it fails as it seems unable to access the
internet.  Alt-F4 shows messages on the client ending with:

choose-mirror[1618]: WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified
release (wheezy)

The machine I'm using as a host is an HP workstation with two gigabit net
ports (eth0 and eth1).

eth1 is plugged into my router and gets an internal IP address of
192.168.1.3
eth0 is set up with a static IP address of 192.168.10.1

I installed dnsmasq and resolvconf (Debian suggested package when
installing dnsmasq) on my host, installed (unarchived) the PXE boot install
files (netboot.tar.gz) for Debian 7 (wheezy) in the /srv/tftp directory and
got it to the point where the client boots and starts the install process.
 The client gets an IP address from dnsmasq of 192.168.10.50

I guess I'm not understanding how I can get the client machine to access
the eth1 which has access to the outside via the router.

Here's a couple of the config files that I have thus far.  I'm sure there's
something glaringly incorrect.  But, like I said, I'm not good with the
networking stuff.  If any more information is needed please let me know.

Any advice would be much appreciated....

/etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

# The secondary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.10.1
gateway 192.168.1.3
netmask 255.255.0.0
network 192.168.10.0
broadcast 192.168.10.255

/etc/dnsmasq.conf

interface=eth0
enable-tftp
dhcp-range=192.168.10.50,192.168.10.55,255.255.255.0,1h
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,pxeserver,192.168.10.1
dhcp-host=00:40:CA:A2:A3:6C,192.168.10.50,1h
pxe-service=x86PC,"Install Linux",pxelinux
tftp-root=/srv/tftp