[GLLUG] PXE Debian install problem

J Neveau neveauj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 06:46:56 EST 2014

Yep, that's what I was doing on my first try.  I had dnsmasq installed and
used its DHCP capability to assign the IP upon boot, with the tftp
capability pointed to the boot files on the /srv/tftp directory.  Those
files are from Debian's site, the netboot.tar.gz file is extracted into the
/srv/tftp directory.

The client machine would boot fine, get an IP address from the host and
start the Debian installation process.  The Debian installation process
would get to the point of using a mirror to download the remaining
packages.

That is where it would fail.  I was able to change to a different tty
console and see that it was trying to use wget to download files from the
mirror and would fail, giving an innocuous error message on tty1 (graphical
install screen) saying, basically, it couldn't connect, check your network
cable, etc.

So, I assumed ( I know, dangerous term ) that it was not getting internet
access beyond the host machine; PXE client connects to host via eth1, host
connects to router ( getting its own IP from DHCP on the router ) via eth0,
then router to ISP modem to wonder world of interwebs.

One article I read said that having two DHCP services on the network would
mess things up.  Could that be the culprit as well?