[GLLUG] Looking for a copy of Win7

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Wed Jan 22 23:33:00 EST 2014

Frank.

Did you actually just post to the Greater Lansing LINUX User Group
mailing list asking how to buy WINDOWS?!?!

I wouldn't bet on (Open|Libre)Office being anywhere near compatible with
any version of Access. I'm pretty sure your professor will know the best
way to get Windows 7.

Buuuuut if you want to keep your geek card, run Microsoft Office on
Linux. I haven't actually tried any of these, but there are at least a
couple of options.

1) Try running Office on a recent Linux distro via WINE and a utility
called PlayOnLinux. Apparently there is quite a bit to do, and there
will still be some flakiness to deal with, but it seems to be possible:
http://rmitc.org/2013/04/ultimate-microsoft-office-2010-installation-on-ubuntu/

2) Buy a CrossOver subscription. Which is basically a custom version of
WINE with support. Looks to be a lot more automatic and you can try it
for free before committing to buy:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7437

Good luck and don't give in (as much) to the dark side!

Charles