[GLLUG] scp question

Stanley Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Fri Jan 24 23:56:08 EST 2014

OK, so I'm trying to copy some files from a server on a 192.168.16.0
network to another server on a 192.168.10.0 network.  My laptop has its
wired port eth0 manually set at 192.168.16.2 and its wireless set via
DHCP to 192.168.10.100.  I thought the following would do what I want:

scp user at wiredserverIPaddress:/path/files
user at wirelessserverIPaddress:/path/

I get the request for a password on the first server, then I get an
error trying to connect to the second server via the wireless connection:

ssh: connect to host <IP address> port 22: No route to host
lost connection

I can ping both servers, and ssh into both individually, but scp doesn't
seem to be able to figure out that the destination server needs to go
out the wireless port.

Yes, I realize this is not a terribly efficient way to transfer files.
That's OK.  I can just change IP addresses and do an scp direct from
server1 to server2.  But..... it just seems like this should work, so I
thought I'd try it.

Any suggestions?

Stan