[GLLUG] Fwd: Re: Compiling Linux & Distros

Jason L. Froebe jason.froebe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:38:26 EST 2014

Along with VMware that Karl is using, you could use Linux containers (LXC)
for your various Linux "systems".  You won't have the overhead of emulating
a virtual machine.  YMMV

jason

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Karl Schuttler
<karl.schuttler at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've come to have all my linux stuff virtualized in a VMware environment.
> I can build  a base VM to my specs and then just copy it as many times as I
> need.
>
> I can only see the value in this if you are pushing it across a large
> environment (i.e., a Gold build) or if you want to distribute a customized,
> subject-focused distribution to others (e.g., Kali linux), or both
> (SELinux, Scientific linux).
>
> In most of these cases, you're probably just taking another distribution
> and customizing it to where you like, rather than building completely from
> the ground up. If you take care to properly document the steps you followed
> to get to the finished customized product, then it should be relatively
> easy just to script the whole process out (i.e., install all the desired
> packages), and then copy any necessary configuration files from another
> source. This seems like it would offer a much higher effort:reward ratio if
> you don't fall into the aforementioned categories.
>
> Case in point, a previous job I had was to install new server builds. We
> used Gentoo, which is a completely source-compiled distro (all packages are
> built from source). At the time, Gentoo did not have a boot-cd easy
> install, so our process involved booting the system into a small flavor of
> bootable linux, partitioning the drives, installing the bootloader, and
> then untarring a completely installed filesystem onto the disk.
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Clay Dowling <clay at lazarusid.com> wrote:

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old
falsehoods. -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love"