[GLLUG] Fwd: Re: Compiling Linux & Distros

Sean Omalley omalley_s at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:29:37 EST 2014

Gentoo, uses portage which is similar to the bsd build system.

Fedora uses srpms, But they use an automated build system (Koji) which rebuilds in a chroot build environment (mock). I usually use mock, without koji since I am only working on a package at a time usually trying to find build errors, fix bugs, switch build flags or compilers.
If you just download the srpm and build on a supported platform, you shouldn't have any issues.

There is a tool I want to say originally for busybox that lets you customize a distro to build a custom installer. I think there is a tool for creating a Fedora Spin, that does something similar.

But like all of fedora's packages are checksum'd and packages are signed with keys. I think most distro's do this now.

I am not plugging Fedora, as much as I am just a little more familiar with it. They also usually have pretty good documentation.