[GLLUG] Done? Over? Finis?

Dave Crampton dave.crampton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 11:40:04 EDT 2014

Addressing several points below, not as scattered as it looks. :)

Without enough interested members, there can hardly be enough of a knowledge/interest pool to provide regular and (mostly) varied presentations for weekly meetings. Bit of a chicken and an egg problem there. If the GLLUG is to be rejuvenated, we may have to rely on social “hang out, compare bash scripts, and argue about file system pros and cons” to rebuild a regular attending membership.

LW would be a great source of potential members. Back when I worked there (around 2006 or so), the GLLUG had a reputation for low turnout, and (sorry for the blunt honesty) rehashed, boring presentations. That reputation would have to be changed (if it still exists) to draw membership.

I found this on the group’s About page (right below the error message/traceback):
"GLLUG was founded in the summer of 1998, by a small group of Linux users centered around Michigan State University campus in East Lansing, Michigan. Our goals as a group and as individuals include the following:

• Provide support to each other in using Linux and free software.
• Encourage adoption of Linux and free software in local schools, homes, and businesses.
• Improve existing free software and write new free software.”

I am of the opinion that we should look at these goals, ask honestly whether or not they are being met (or if progress is being made on them). If not, we can come up with new ideas.

Changing the meeting schedule might not be enough.
--
David M. Crampton
http://davidmcrampton.com