[GLLUG] Done? Over? Finis?

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sun Sep 28 22:58:10 EDT 2014

I haven't attended GLLUG much over the last couple of years because I
live and work in the Ann Arbor area now and don't necessarily want to
risk a 2.5-hour round-trip drive if there's an even chance it'll be a
wasted trip.

I was one of the principal organizers for GLLUG somewhere around
2005-2007ish if memory serves. This was around the time that meetings
were being held at Gone Wired /before/ they started having open mic
night or whatever ruckus that was. Anyway, my observation was this: if
you build it, they will come.

During that period, attendance often varied but if we had something that
even /sounded/ interesting, headcount was no problem. 10-20 was average
with people coming and going over the 2-3 hour stretch. Not every
presentation was a 10 on the awesomeness scale (especially if it was my
turn ;) but people overlooked that if they got to socialize and enjoy
the free* pizza. We had a number of cool side-events as well... We had
the computer lounge and room party at Penguicon, an installfest (or
two?) on Software Freedom Day, BBQs, white-elephant Christmas gift
exchange, and probably others that someone will remind me about later.

Bottom line is, those who are interested in seeing GLLUG carry on should
take an active role in organizing it. Scout out new meeting places, do
presentations, organize, coordinate, promote. We had an informal
committee at one point (president, secretary... treasurer?) but I think
we can safely call it dissolved at this point. We have a web site of
course but aside from a few sparse postings and PHP warnings, it hasn't
seen any real action in years. There might be a Facebook page, dunno
about Twitter or Google Plus.

I made a good many friends through GLLUG and would be sad to see it fade
away. I don't think there will be any opposition to anyone who wants to
"reboot" GLLUG and has the motivation to follow through.  I'm too far
away now to do any of the heavy lifting, but I'll support any efforts to
bring it back.

Thanks,
Charles