[GLLUG] New to Linux

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sun Sep 28 23:09:46 EDT 2014

On 09/28/2014 09:56 PM, Lani Meredith wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Michael <mwbusch1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:mwbusch1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Changing the topic from meetings to newbies, I would like to learn
>     Linux and eventually Python. What suggestions would you give to
>     someone new to Linux about how to learn it? I am thinking about
>     taking a Linux class at a community college. A class would be more
>     structured and detailed than doing something on my own. For now I
>     have two books, "The Linux Command Line," and "Ubuntu Made Easy."
>     that I am looking through. I have Ubuntu installed as a dual boot on
>     my computer.
>
>     Thanks in advance for suggestions that anyone may have.
>
>     Mike Busch
>

> If you have a spare computer, I recommend Linux From Scratch
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/>.  Compiling a compiler, chrooting,
> and creating text files without using a text editor!
>
> Lani Meredith

That's certainly one way to dive right in! But for those looking to just
dip their toes in the free/libre/open-source waters, the best way is to
install it (whether dual-boot or in a VM) and try to do whatever
interests you. When it comes to learning tech stuff, Google and YouTube
are like the parents you never had.

In the case of Python, open up a terminal, type "python" and hit enter:

   $ python
   Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
   [GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

If you type "help", it says:

   >>> help
   Type help() for interactive help, or help(object) for help about object.

If you type "help()", there's even more, including a link to one of many
(many!) Python tutorials and further advice on using the interpreter.
When you get stuck or need a random question answered, Google it!

(Or ask here, we like to help!)

Thanks,
Charles