[GLLUG] Fedora Packages

Tom McArthur ThomasMcA at computer.org
Wed Aug 5 15:06:31 EDT 2015

I had mixed results with both CentOS and Fedora.

In some versions of Fedora, LVM is broken. Also, the whole custom
partition process is broken. And if you make a "mistake" while setting
up your partition layouts, it displays a not-so-helpful "there was a
problem" error message. The same moron developer who put in that error
message also thinks that just because I put /home on a separate
partition, I must also put /boot on a separate partition. (I wanted 3
partitions: an encrypted /home, an encrypted swap, and one unencrypted
partition for everything else - neither the F17 nor F18 installer will
let you do that.) I finally gave up on both F17 and F18, installed F16
in default mode, and fixed my partition layout manually.

CentOS would not even install because of my custom partition setup.

Once I got Fedora installed, it worked great for maybe 12-18 months. I
hopped to another distro when the performance of my VMware VM tanked. I
don't know if that was VMware's problem or Fedora's problem, but I was
ready for a change anyway, so I replaced both with Mageia and
VirtualBox. Wow, what a difference. Performance is great, VBox runs
flawlessly, video works great in both dualhead and cloned mode, and WiFi
roaming works out-of-the-box.

Tom