[GLLUG] Fedora Packages

Sean Omalley omalley_s at rocketmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:34:06 EDT 2015

I use Fedora as my desktop, and use Centos/Redhat on servers. Usually Redhat is based on a specific Fedora Release. If you are running custom software, it can be -easier- to find bugs and report/fix bugs and get features in using Fedora, before you have issues on your productions machines, or at least you are aware when it comes through in testing.

Usually Fedora as a system is more bleeding edge up to date software then most distros. They backed off the release schedule recently because they were doing too many mass rebuilds and now they are attempting more stability. I haven't had too many issues with stability since about F14 and that was really a video driver issue.
Fedora also usually has a newer kernel, and newer version of the compiler/toolchain. You tend to update and reboot quite a bit more because of it. It isnt a big deal for my laptop.
The virtualization stack (KVM) is actually pretty nice, and has a number of nice features.

IF you do install Fedora for a desktop make sure you install the rpmfusion repo. Fedora has a fairly strict licensing policy, and doesn't include anything like video codecs, that may fall under a non-gnu license.

Pointy haired bosses don't really like Fedora, but they DO like stability and upgradability, and you can chase bugs out a year ahead of a redhat release.