[GLLUG] BLOBs in Databases

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Feb 2 19:10:49 EST 2015

Application Environments like Java Enterprise Edition explicitly forbid
accessing files directly from the filesystem.  Doing so usually just
creates a giant mess and applications that don't scale correctly.  It's one
of the banes JEE admins have to deal with with all the proprietary/broken
apps.  I'm sure other environments have similar constraints on bypassing
declared abstractions layers and hitting things directly.  By using
database nuetral SQL through a suitable layer (JDBC Datasource, etc.), you
can do things like take your SQLite application and spread it out into a
horizontal cluster of PostgreSQL backends, etc.  If you hit those resources
directly bypassing all the abstraction layers, you tend to make things
really, really difficult for any admins trying to work with your app.  Now,
that's not to say you can't create a resource wrapper of some sort that
internally just stores the content on filesystems, handles replication,
etc., but the point is that component can be independently swapped out,l
moved around, tec.