[GLLUG] Meeting Idea

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 21:24:55 EST 2015

I know I've been stressing presentations at meetings as a way to get
greater interest, but something occurred to me that might work just as
well and be less demanding on individuals than preparing for a solo
presentation would be.  What if we picked a topic for discussion in
advance, and everyone who wants to attend should either study it some
before the meeting or come up with some good questions, or both?

This idea was prompted by me wondering about using cloud services.
During his presentation on CFEngine, Daniel mentioned that he has a mail
server running on Digital Ocean, and that it costs him only five dollars
a month.  I thought that was an interesting idea, but I later wondered
how he set up his MX records, how do you make sure it's not an open
relay for spam, if there was a default setup provided by Digital Ocean
that he just had to tailor to his mail domain, and what other
cloud/virtual server providers offer at what price.  I propose that we
have some meetings where we discuss a particular topic, and I would like
this to be one of them.  I can only make the second meeting of each
month, though, so I request that we save this one for one of those meetings.

There must be other topics that would be of broad, general interest to
GLLUG members.  One topic that might have been promising is systemd, but
that seems to be a done deal now in the vast majority of distributions,
so it's moot.  Perhaps some other topics of interest would be checkbook
programs, blog software and hosts, local broadband providers for the
home, and security certificates.  Feel free to suggest other topics, as
I don't claim to have a monopoly on good ideas.  I would think they
would be things we all have to do at some time, or hardware many of us
use.  Maybe even everyone bring a bunch of useful websites to the
meeting to share with others, like duckduckgo.com.

What would YOU like to see covered?
--

                                Chick