[GLLUG] Bootable USB Stick

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 22:47:20 EST 2015

On 11/06/2015 11:15 AM, Antonio Gurgel wrote:
> You have two Linux-only options, from what I see on ArchWiki:
> 1 Use GNOME:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media#Using_GNOME_Disk_Utility
> 2 Manually hack at it with GRUB:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive#Using_GRUB_and_loopback_devices

I still haven't created a bootable flash drive, but not for want of
trying.  I tried unetbootin on another distro, with the same results.  I
did finally figure out my mistake in booting the install .iso file using
a loopback device, but the installation fails.  Or rather, seems to do
nothing after getting all the information it needs from me.  I ran in to
a similar problem trying to install another distro by booting the live
install CD's .iso file, so maybe that's inherent in the way they're set up.

The GRUB & loopback device method mentioned above looks like it might
work, but I've thought that before.  I think I'll just see if the drive
fits in my similar ThinkPad and install it from there.  Maybe I'll just
swap the drives permanently, as the other one is larger.  The screen
doesn't work properly on that one, which is why I don't use it for
anything other than playing DVDs to watch on a TV.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
--

                                Chick