[GLLUG] Digital Certificates

frank.dolinar at comcast.net frank.dolinar at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 17:05:19 EDT 2015

This is principally to Rick, but anyone with some information is welcome.

The project I'm currently working on within IBM has need of a process to acquire, install, and use digital certificates.
The client apparently uses Clear Trust certificates but has a specific request for a VeriSign certificate.

My naive questions are:
1) what's the difference?
2) where / how are such certificates acquired?
3) what do they cost?
4) what's a typical process for installing / activating these certificates?
5) where should they be installed?
6) my perception is that these are much used in a web environment. It seems that they'd be equally as important in any network environment. Is this accurate? if not, why not?

Apparently, there is a dearth of such information within the client company (which I find inexcusable given its focus).

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all,
Frank