[GLLUG] tcpdump

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 22:49:07 EDT 2016

On 08/13/2016 03:59 PM, Marr wrote:
> Two things come to mind, FWIW.
>
> (1) I prefer 'iptraf' (run as 'root', e.g. in a 'konsole' window
> because it uses ncurses [think "crude GUI, like the Slackware
> installer"]). Comes pre-installed with the full Slackware 14.2. I've
> used 'tcpdump', but I feel more in control with 'iptraf', although I
> don't use either app that often.
>
> (2) It might be wise to fire up GKrellM (performance meters, for those
> on this list unfamiliar with it) and configure it (F1 hotkey) to monitor
> PPP traffic, so that you can see things in realtime.

I tried out iptraf, Bill, and it worked, but it doesn't seem to be what
I want.  I want to see what domains Firefox is communicating with, or
who are inundating Firefox with data.  I want to figure out some way to
stop that nonsense.  As it stands now, I can't use Firefox at home any
more because it takes up too much bandwidth.

On a side note, I've been trying some other browsers.  I already had a
bunch installed, and I compiled and installed some others.  Seamonkey is
close, but it's a little out of date.  Slimjet (a reportedly
privacy-enhanced version of Chromium) communicates with something on the
Internet, too, but it's not as bad as Firefox is now.  dwb is fast as
hell, but difficult to use, as it's meant to be used mainly from the
keyboard with vi bindings, but it also can't render everything.  Midori,
at least as compiled on Slackware, crashes almost any time something
asks to set cookies.  Vivaldi, also based on Chrome, doesn't waste
bandwidth coordinating with someplace else, but it's an odd duck; three
of four sides of the screen have icons for doing things, even before
having any sidebars visible.  Qupzilla isn't bad, and neither are Arora
and Rekonq, all based on the Qt library.  But Firefox is what I'm used
to and what I like best.
--

                                Chick